Get step-by-step instructions on how to change the water filter on your Maytag fridge, so you can keep your family safe and healthy.
Checkout this video:
Unplug the fridge
Before you begin, make sure to unplug the refrigerator from the power outlet. This is to ensure your safety as well as prevent any damage to the fridge.
Once the fridge is unplugged, locate the water filter. The water filter is usually located near the back of the fridge, near where the water line connects to the fridge.
Now that you have located the water filter, it’s time to remove it. Depending on your model of refrigerator, there may be a release button or tab that you need to press or flip in order to remove the water filter. Once you have located this release button/tab, press or flip it and then twist the filter counterclockwise until it comes loose.
With the old filter removed, it’s now time to install the new one. To do this, simply take the new filter and insert it into the opening, making sure that it is firmly seated. Once the new filter is in place, twist it clockwise until it is locked into place.
Now that you have successfully replaced your water filter, all that’s left to do is plug your fridge back in and turn it on. Your fridge should now be up and running and filtering your water properly!
Locate the water filter
Before you begin, locate the water filter. The water filter is usually located in one of two places: either in the back, upper-right corner of the fridge, or in the front, bottom-center of the fridge.
If your water filter is located in the back, upper-right corner of the fridge:
1. Unplug the refrigerator from the power outlet.
2. Remove the cover from the water filter housing by turning it counterclockwise.
3. Pull out the old water filter and discard it according to your municipality’s guidelines.
4. Push the new water filter into the housing until it clicks into place.
5. Replace the cover on the housing and turn it clockwise to lock it into place.
6. Plug the refrigerator back into the power outlet and flush 2 gallons (7.6 L) of water through before using for drinking or cooking .
If your water filter is located in the front, bottom-center ofthe fridge:
1. Unplugthe refrigerator fromthe power outlet .
2 . Pulloutthe bottom drawerof themain compartmentuntilit stops .
3 . Locateand pressin on therelease tabsto open up themain compartmentdoor . 4 . Openupthe main compartmentdoorbyliftingupfromthemiddle first , then fully open doorto reston topof compartmentshelves , if necessary . 5 Wi lde tha tth emodel numberanc d serial numberare locatethroughout th e insideand outsideco mpartmentsfor ready referencehan a pristripunderneath neig hboringfiltercover , below whichare tubes intowhichyou wilt insertnewfilterquick couplings provided 5G lift thenewfilte rbyitsyellowgriphandle and line uplilter whitequick connecTionstowards rear slotsin onto blue clips faceplateopening up Filter 6 PushFarward newflilter so yellow griphandle is tightagainst wall blue clips are lockedinto place below which you Shouldsee thatwhite quickconnectionshave engaged withrear slots 7 Tumt ie Flipcover down over closedcompartmenima tch 8 Returnboftom dratoitto itsposition closeand engagered release barlatching mechanism oIlote thatINFORMATION AmericanPlease be readyloinly referenceserial Service Assistance c losedown on hinge supportwhengoing to 10 Ioosenbyhalf a turnthenclose main compartmentdrawerfull 12 returnbeginusingyour appliance Plugrefrigeratorpowel’backinto an outletconvenientlocation Fridgepdf Washerusermanual)appliance 20 Open (or Manualsonlinecom/manuals/mfg maytag
Remove the old water filter
1. Start by removing the old water filter from your Maytag fridge.
2. Locate the filter release button, which is usually located inside the fridge near the water filter compartment.
3. Push the filter release button to release the old filter from its housing.
4. Pull the old filter out of its housing and discard it according to your local municipality’s regulations.
Install the new water filter
It’s important to change the water filter on your Maytag fridge every 6 months, or more often if you have hard water. Installing the new filter is easy – just follow these steps.
1. Open the fridge door and locate the filter compartment. It’s usually located in the top right corner.
2. Remove the old filter by turning it to the left and pulling it out.
3. Take the new filter out of its packaging and remove the protective cover (usually a white cap).
4. Insert the new filter into the compartment and turn it to the right until it’s snug.
5. Close the compartment door and run water from the dispenser for 5 minutes to prime the filter before use.
Run water through the new filter
Run water through the new filter to remove any impurities that may be present. When you are finished, install the new filter in your fridge according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Check for leaks
The first thing you want to do is check for leaks. The most common cause of a water filter leak is a loose connection. If your fridge has a water filter, it will be located near the back, near the bottom. There will be a small housing that the filter screws into. Make sure that this housing is tightened securely. If it is loose, simply tighten it with a screwdriver or wrench.
Replace the filter cover
To replace the filter cover, first remove the old filter by turning it counterclockwise. Next, insert the new filter into the housing and turn it clockwise to secure. Finally, replace the filter cover by snapping it back into place.
Plug the fridge back in
1. Remove the old filter: Twist the old filter counterclockwise until it separates from the fridge. Pull it straight out and dispose of it.
2. Insert the new filter: Align the new filter with the housing, then twist it clockwise until it’s secure.
3. Flush the water line: Run water through the dispenser for 3 minutes to flush out any loose carbon particles before use.
Reset the water filter indicator
If your fridge has a water filter indicator, you’ll need to reset it after changing the filter. Depending on your model, you may need to do this manually or the fridge will do it automatically.
To reset the indicator manually:
1. locate the button or switch that says “reset” or “change filter.”
2. press and hold the button for three seconds.
3. release the button.
The indicator should now be reset and your fridge will be able to dispense water and make ice again.
Enjoy your clean, filtered water!
It’s easy to forget about changing your fridge’s water filter, but it’s an important part of keeping your appliance running smoothly. Most fridge manufacturers recommend changing the filter every 6 months, but if you have hard water, you may need to do it more often.
Here’s how to change the water filter on a Maytag fridge:
1. Locate the filter. It’s usually in the top right corner of the fridge.
2. Turn off the water supply to the fridge.
3. Remove the old filter by unscrewing it from the housing.
4. Insert the new filter into the housing and screw it in place.
5. Turn on the water supply and check for leaks.
6. Enjoy your clean, filtered water!