Changing your water filter is an easy way to keep your Whirlpool refrigerator running smoothly. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to replace the water filter in your Whirlpool refrigerator.
Checkout this video:
Why you should regularly replace your water filter
You should regularly replace your water filter because it helps remove contaminants from your water and ice. Over time, sediments and rust can build up in your water lines and clog your filter, making it less effective at doing its job. A clogged filter can also cause your refrigerator to run less efficiently, costing you more money in the long run.
How often to replace your water filter
You should replace your water filter every six months, or more often if you have hard water. Additionally, it’s a good idea to keep a backup filter on hand so you can quickly replace it if necessary.
How to tell when it’s time to replace your water filter
It’s important to keep your refrigerator’s water filter clean and replaced regularly to avoid bad tastes and smells in your water, and potentially harmful bacteria growth. Depending on your water quality, how often you use your fridge’s water dispenser, and the type of filter you have, you’ll need to replace your filter anywhere from every few months to every year.
Here are a couple signs that it might be time to replace your Whirlpool refrigerator’s water filter:
-Your ice cubes are starting to taste bad or smell funky
-The water from your fridge’s dispenser is coming out slowly or oddly colored
-You can’t remember the last time you replaced the filter (If it’s been more than 6 months, it’s probably time!)
Luckily, replacing a Whirlpool refrigerator water filter is easy! Just follow these steps:
1. Locate your filter. It should be located in the top right corner of your fridge, behind a small grill.
2. Turn off the water to your fridge using the shutoff valve located behind or beneath the fridge.
3. Unscrew the old filter from the housing and discard it properly.
4. Install the new filter into the housing, making sure that the arrows on thefilter are pointing in the correct direction (toward the flowing water).
5. Screw on the new filter tightly until it’s securely in place.
6. Turn on the shutoff valve and check for leaks around the newfilter before returning everything to its rightful place in your fridge
The benefits of replacing your water filter
Your Whirlpool refrigerator is equipped with a water filter. The water filter should be replaced every 6 months to ensure that your refrigerator is providing you with the best possible water quality. There are several benefits to replacing your refrigerator water filter:
-Cleaner, better-tasting water and ice
-Reduced chlorine taste and odor
-Reduced harmful contaminants such as lead, cysts, and turbidity
In addition to these benefits, replacing your Whirlpool refrigerator water filter is easy! Simply follow the steps below:
1. Locate the water filter housing in the upper right-hand corner of your refrigerator compartment.
2. Remove the housing cover by turning it counterclockwise.
3. Remove the old water filter from the housing and discard it according to your municipality’s waste disposal regulations.
4. Insert the new water filter into the housing and turn it clockwise until it is firmly seated.
5. Replace the housing cover by turning it clockwise until it is tight.
6. Flush the new filter for 3 minutes before using your refrigerator’s water dispenser or ice maker (if equipped).
How to properly replace your water filter
It’s important to change your refrigerator’s water filter every 6 months or so to keep the water clean and tasting fresh. Whirlpool refrigerators have a built-in water filter, which is easy to replace when necessary. Follow the steps below to properly replace your water filter.
1. Begin by locate the filter release button, which is usually located in the grille at the bottom of the refrigerator.
2. Press and hold the filter release button for 3 seconds.
3. Pull out the old water filter from its housing.
4. Take the new water filter out of its packaging and insert it into the housing, making sure that it is properly seated.
5. Push the new filter into place and release the filter release button.
6. Flush the water system by running water through the dispense for 3 minutes before using it again for drinking or cooking purposes.
What to do with your old water filter
When you replace the water filter in your Whirlpool refrigerator, you should always dispose of the old filter properly. The best way to do this is to recycle it. You can check with your local recycling center to see if they accept water filters. If not, you can throw it away in your regular trash.
How to dispose of your old water filter
Before you begin installing your new water filter, it’s important to dispose of your old one properly. The first thing you’ll want to do is remove the filter from the refrigerator. Once it’s out, take off the cap and discard it. Next, find the O-ring (it will be located on the bottom of the housing) and remove it. Throw away the O-ring as well. Finally, flush out the housing with clean water to remove any debris.
Tips for replacing your water filter
If your Whirlpool refrigerator is equipped with a water filter, it’s important to regularly replace the filter to keep the water clean and fresh. Here are some tips for replacing your water filter:
1. Locate your water filter. It’s usually located in the back of the fridge, near the bottom.
2. Turn off the water supply to the fridge. This is usually done by turning off the valve that supplies water to the fridge.
3. Remove the old filter from its housing. Make sure to properly dispose of the old filter according to local regulations.
4. Insert the new filter into its housing and re-enable the water supply to the fridge by turning on the valve.
5. Reset your fridge’s water filter indicator light, if applicable. This light is usually located on the control panel of your fridge and serves as a reminder to replace your water filter when it’s time to do so.
Troubleshooting replacing your water filter
If your Whirlpool refrigerator is not dispensing water, chances are you need to replace the water filter. A clogged water filter can also cause your refrigerator to make noise. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot replacing your water filter.
Tools you will need:
-Phillips head screwdriver
-Replacement water filter (Find the correct replacement filter for your model here)
-Water pitcher (optional)
1. Prepare your work area – clear a space on your countertop or table where you can easily access your refrigerator. It’s also helpful to lay down a towel in case you accidentally drop any screws while working.
2. Locate the old water filter – it’s usually located in the upper right-hand corner of the fridge, behind a small panel. Use a Phillips head screwdriver to remove the screws that hold the panel in place, and then pull out the old water filter.
3. Insert the new water filter – align the new water filter with the housing and twist it into place until it’s snug.
4. Replace the panel – put the panel back in place and use your screwdriver to secure it with screws.
5. Flush out the system – once you’ve replaced the old water filter with a new one, it’s important to flush out the system by running water through it for several minutes before using it again. This will help clear any residual contaminants that may be stuck in the lines. If you have a water pitcher handy, you can pour fresh water into it and dispense it into a cup until there is no more sediment present.
FAQs about replacing your water filter
When it’s time to replace your Whirlpool refrigerator water filter, every attempt is made to make sure the replacement process is as streamlined as possible. Here are some answers to common questions about replacing your water filter.
What are the first steps I need to take when replacing my water filter?
before you replace your water filter, be sure to do the following:
-Unplug the refrigerator from the electrical outlet.
-Turn off the water supply to the refrigerator.
-Dispense all of the water from the dispenser until there is only air coming out.
-Remove the old filter by turning it to the left.
How do I install my new water filter?
Installing your new Whirlpool refrigerator water filter is just as easy as removing the old one. Just follow these simple steps:
-Take the new filter out of its packaging.
-Remove the protective cover from one end of the new filter.
-Insert the end of the new filter without the cover into the housing, making sure that it is properly seated.
-Turn the newfilter to the right until it is locked into place. You should hear a “click” when it is locked in correctly. If you don’t hear a click, try turning it a little farther to make sure that it’s locked in properly.
-Replace the cover on the end of the new filter.
What do I do with my old waterfilter?
Once you have replaced your old water filter with a new one, you can dispose of it according to your local guidelines for disposing of electronic waste or hazardous materials.